All other complaints

Some examples of complaints that fall within this category include:

  • complaints about errors in annual statements
  • complaints about a miscalculation of a benefit
  • complaints about a delay in rolling over a benefit or a cash payment, or processing an instruction to switch investments
  • complaints about the deduction of insurance premiums from an account

The information you provide when completing the Registration of complaint form will help us resolve your complaint. You may wish to read our What remedies can the Tribunal provide? brochure which provides information about the remedies the Tribunal can and cannot provide in resolving complaints. Listed below are examples of additional information you can provide if relevant to the circumstances of your complaint:

  • a copy of the superannuation provider's letter or other documentation (such as a member statement) notifying you of its decision
  • a copy of your letter of complaint to the superannuation provider about this decision
  • a copy of the superannuation provider's letter responding to your complaint
  • if your complaint is about something that the superannuation provider may or may not have disclosed to you, an explanation as to what this disclosure was and how the information was disclosed to you, how you have relied on the information, what loss have you suffered, and what would you have done differently had you known the correct information
  • if you are claiming you have suffered a financial loss as a result of the superannuation provider's decision, details of how you calculated the financial loss and/or documents or references to documents that will help us understand how you calculated your loss (if available)

If you wish to lodge a complaint, please complete and return our Registration of complaint form.You can complete and submit the form online, or print and return it. Typed documents are preferred for ease of comprehension.

The form includes a Personal information collection notice under the Privacy Act 1988 in relation to how we collect, use and disclose personal information.

Proceed to the online complaint page >>