Lodging a complaint

The Tribunal will accept complaints brought to us on or before 31 October 2018.

If you make a complaint on or after 1 November 2018, you must take your complaint to the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA). AFCA is the new external dispute resolution scheme for financial services complaints, and it will start accepting complaints on 1 November 2018. You can learn more about AFCA at www.afca.org.au.

When you lodge a complaint with us, you will be asked to complete a Registration of complaint form. Using this form, you should outline what has happened, what has prompted your complaint, and why you think that the decision operated unfairly or unreasonably in relation to you in the circumstances.

You should include the consequence or outcome of the decision in its practical operation, including any loss or detriment arising, and clearly state what outcome you are seeking in order to resolve your complaint.

 If you need assistance:

  • the Tribunal will assist you if you need help to put your complaint in writing.
  • the Tribunal may be able to assist you with an interpreter service if your first language is not English.
  • you may wish to seek assistance from a person such as a family member, union official, friend, adviser or solicitor. However, you will be responsible for any costs in doing so.

Generally, complaints can be categorised into three types of complaints: death benefit complaints, disability benefit complaints and all other complaints.